Monday, January 28, 2013

And Surgeon Says... (Week 32)

Let me start by saying that last week was a challenge. There are some things in life that still through me for a loop emotionally, and it takes me a while to get on my feet again. The good news is, that each time, I bounce back faster and more grounded.

Thus, after a few days where I was feeling a bit "off" mentally and emotionally, scattered and whirling with thoughts and ideas, I came to Friday. Friday morning I had my appointment with the surgeon. He's a good one in several locations, which means at least a two hour wait to see him, and you have to wait four weeks to get an appointment with him. I was supposed to see him in December... but because they forgot to schedule me, I ended up waiting until the end of January.

After three hours, we finally got to see him. By that time I was hungry, tired, really not wanting to be there... and I can only imagine how the kiddos felt. It was a quick visit as I wanted out, and really had nothing to say other than to get him to sign the PT form. I was hoping he'd tell me I was doing great... that I didn't have to see him anymore. Alas... he wants me back in 3 months.

Over the weekend I leaned into the feeling of being scattered. It was snowing, and I knew I was off when instead of leisurely watching it with a nice cuppa... I was pacing and agitated. I did settle in for some games with hubby in the afternoon.

I haven't been able to get out and walk with the snow and the chill in the air (15 degrees is too cold). Getting out and walking, I'm usually on my own, and it not only gives me a chance to move, but it's like a mediation. It makes me feel better physically, mentally, and emotionally. Hmmm... perhaps I should consult a good friend of mine who walks indoors in her home... :)

Then today, I went to physical therapy. I got a workout today with various exercises and yoga poses, and felt super proud when he commented how hard one exercise was, and for me it was easy. The best part has been realizing that I can do some of the exercises that I thought I could never do. Proof that I'm getting better.

The PT told me that he thinks I might need another month and then I'm done. He said by April, I might be back to doing what I was. I need to do the moves slowly... but I can do a lot that I couldn't before. My movement and strength have really improved. My core strength is increasing.

April will be almost a year since my fall. It's been a long road.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome news from the PT! And April couldn't be more perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes... I thought you'd agree... just in time for MAY. :)

    ReplyDelete