Friday, October 5, 2012

And surgeon says... (Week 15)

Yesterday was a beautiful day. I was simultaneously nervous and excited because I was finally (finally!!) meeting with the surgeon. I was prepped with questions about the surgery, and dreamed of getting answers, and the day when I'd finally be back to "normal".

Well, then.

After waiting for 2 hours, to see him for 15 minutes, imagine my surprise when he walked in, radiating calm to tell me he didn't think I needed surgery. I admit it, I was in shock. What? I was happy, because I didn't want the surgery, but then reality hit. So what do I do now?

He suggested a round of oral (not the shot of which there are current issues http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/10/05/162402254/meningitis-outbreak-update-list-of-hospitals-released ) steroids followed up with a heavy duty anti-inflammatory. ( Medrol Dose Pack which is an oral steroid, followed by Mobic.)

I'm on the limb about the steroids. I'm giving myself a few days to really think about if I want to do them or not. I admit it - I'm a little scared with my history of medications. Plus, I'm feeling better this week, so are they really necessary or should I just skip to the Mobic? Lots to think about, and I want to make the best decision.

Thankfully, this has been a good week back wise. I've not been in as much pain, and movement has been good.

I admit, that I was hoping for surgery, and for a "quick fix". But when a surgeon recommends against it, maybe he's right. In talking to him, he said that my herniation is a small one and that if there is a loose particle that I should still wait. He gave the impression that surgery cannot be undone, so try all my other options first.

I'm not sure how hubby feels. I know he's fed up and tired with all that he's been doing. Sometimes I think he was hoping the surgery would be the big step needed to get our lives back (I know I had thought that).

So, here we are. Another month of waiting before we meet with the surgeon again. In the meantime, looks as though we really need to make the most of it. (I've called in my mom to come for a week to help out in the meantime.)

I can say one thing. It was incredibly empowering for the surgeon to give it back to me. (I'd pretty much turned it over to him, and he handed it back.)

The journey continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment