Monday, November 26, 2012

Taking a Stand (Week 23)

Last week was amazing, even with hubby having to work all week. Aside from the gorgeous weather, which enabled me and the kids to go to the park everyday (including Thanksgiving), we had a quiet, delicious dinner, park time in the sun, and then we returned for pie. I ate 2 dinners (we ate first at noon), and 2 slices of pie bathed in bourbon flavored whip cream. Yummy.

On Friday, I was shifted to see a student physical therapist. Now, had it been a routine visit, I'd have been fine. But I was sore (I actually called the office about it on Wednesday and got an exercise to fix it), grumpy because I was in pain and at that time, I needed her to be more assertive and knowledgeable (the owner actually added 2 exercises to the program). I kept reminding myself that she needs to learn and practice, so I was nice, but very emotional. Lesson learned - I've got to speak up.

Thankfully, whatever she did helped the pain. On Friday it snowed and rained, but I got out and walked. I walked in the cold on Saturday and Sunday as well. Today, we went to the park again. It was awesome. Tomorrow, I've another PT (physical therapy) meeting.

I'm feeling stronger. I'm able to move more, and my new "goal" is to be able to sit on the couch and watch a movie with my family, and not be in severe pain afterward. Will it happen? I have hope. Since I started PT, I've already come so far. I can drive short distances. I've gone from maybe 250-300 steps per day when bed-ridden, to 800 -1000 steps per day (maybe over 1000 on good days) to averaging about 5000 steps (today I'm over 7000 so far - yay!) in the last 2 weeks. And, the walking makes it feel better.

This entire process has been such a learning curve. I'm learning how to speak up for myself. I'm learning what works for my body, and what doesn't. I'm learning that sometimes, I need to do my own research and find my own way, with the help of the professionals around me.

It's been quite the journey, to say the least. A lot has happened to bring me to this point in my life. And I have to say, that right now, this moment, despite the tweak of pain here and there... I am content. I am happy. I am filled with joy.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful news! I had no idea that you were making such great strides (pun half-intended)! Tell me more about the curcumin (brand?).

    ReplyDelete