I went to see my chiropractor today. I was concerned this weekend because I was feeling so bad that I might have taken 2 steps back. However this morning I woke up feeling pretty good, and not in a lot of pain. Yay! It turns out, I'm right where I should be. The disc is still not healed - if I turn certain ways, I feel it for sure. However, my range of movement has certainly improved.
The best part? I've been cleared to do minor exercises!!!! There are specific restrictions: no more than a set of 10 at one time, not all at once, and if I feel any pain at all, I am to stop immediately. (Make note, that each situation is different for each person, so if you happen to have a herniated disc confer with your doctor or chiropractor. These have been specified for me personally - they may not be best for everyone.)
So, allow me to share with you what I can do:
Before I do any of these - hold in the core muscles and keep them tight!!!
- Bend forward - slowly - as far as I can. Use a chair if need be.
- Bend backward - slowly.
- Bend to the right and left side - slowly.
- Twist to the right and left side - slowly.
- Knee lifts.
- Side leg lifts while standing.
- Lift legs back (this I need to be careful of because I do hurt when I reach a certain point)
Using 1-5 pound weights (obviously I'm starting with the lower end) and standing straight (no bending) moving VERY slow:
- Bicep curls (Squee!!!)
- Tricep curls (I need to keep them close to my sides and stand straight.)
- Shoulder press
I am not allowed to do this all at once. (No 20 minute work outs.) So I can do legs one day, and arms the next. I must remember, step-by-step. SLOW.
And he wants me to walk as much as possible. I've been averaging 1500- 2000 steps the last week. Today, I actually walked outside about a half of the neighborhood, and it felt awesome.
My goals to build up to for next week: 2500-3000 steps average and maybe even work up to one time around the neighborhood.
You can do it! Pace yourself, be patient and before you know it you'll be up to 5 laps around the block again! Sounds like you're making excellent progress.
ReplyDelete