Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Life Changes

When a major injury occurs, especially a back injury, there is a chance it might be life changing. If the person can't move, their entire life is affected on many levels. Some people heal quickly, and go back to where they were before. Others can be profoundly affected, on a physical and spiritual level. Our family has faced many changes, some of which will carry over into "life after the injury".

Before my injury, my husband opted to shave his head. Mind you, over the last 11 years, he has chosen to grow his hair, and then donate it to Locks of Love. Over the last year, he was able to cut 10 more inches to donate. It was his last donation.

He declared that this was this start of his transformation, and a familial one. I don't think that he expected our lives to transform so much over the last month and a half. For one thing, since I can't do anything, he's been carrying the load. We've also been blessed to have people offer help in terms of meals, taking shifts at the house, and more. We discovered that we have an amazing support group here.

 My children have become more independent. My youngest, Da Squeak, suddenly decided it was time to use the potty. She went from being afraid of baths, to wanting one all the time now. She wants to do more things on her own. My eldest is learning to help carry the load, literally because if we go some place, she needs to help carry things. She's also learning to take initiative with her schooling, and makes some of her own meals.

As for me, my whole life has been shaken up. My exercise routine, when I'm able to reestablish one, will start over and be limited. I've resigned from my job. I've discovered my life's passion. I am more aware than ever how important slowing down, being aware, and taking my time is, and I hope that I carry this caution with me after I heal.

Aside from the gifts I've discovered, our family has been through an amazing transformation on many levels. Perhaps this can be considered more gifts. Either way, it's enhanced our journey and strengthened us as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment